There is lots to see and do at the British Schools Museum this summer. In addition to our historic classrooms, late Victorian style Headmaster’s house, sampler collection and permanent exhibitions we have two new exhibitions, children’s discovery days and the chance to experience a Victorian lesson in the Gallery classroom.
- Victorian lessons: First Sunday of the month 2.30pm and 3.30pm. Booking recommended.
- Family Fun: Third Saturday of the month except August. Drop in during regular opening hours (10am – 1pm). 18th July 2015 – Toys and Games. 19th September 2015 – Teach your parents.
- 100 years of Ladybird: 21st July – 24th November 2015.
We will be celebrating 100 years of Ladybird books with an exhibition about these colourful classics. With over 200 Ladybird books in the museum’s collection you can explore a range of titles including Bunnikin’s Picnic Party, What to Look for in Summer, and the iconic Key Words Reading Scheme.
- Doctor Who at the Museum: 15th – 23rd August 2015
Our visitors are used to travelling back in time but, this year, time travel will know no bounds as Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels and more take over the Museum for a week. Special opening times and admission prices apply.
Monday to Saturday 10am to 2pm (Last entry 1.30pm), Sundays 2pm to 5pm (Last entry 4.30pm)
Entrance is just £2 for all ages that means toddlers, teens, parents and grandparents. Please note that the rest of the Museum will not be open during this exhibition and there is no parking available on site.
- Children’s Discovery Days 2015
– Wednesday 22nd July – Ladybird Larks (100 years of Ladybird books)
– Wednesday 29th July – Paper Play
– Wednesday 5th August – Educating Teddy
– Wednesday 12th August – Crafty Capers
There is no Children’s Discovery Day on Wednesday 19th August but why not Visit our Dr Who exhibition?
– Wednesday 26th August – Be Creative with Science
Cost is £3.50 for children aged 4 and above. Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult, but adult admission is free. Children’s Discovery Days take place in the Monitorial Schoolroom. Please note the museum is only open for the children’s activities on these days, not for regular museum visits.
The British Schools Museum is open Tuesday 10am – 4pm, Saturday 10am – 1pm and Sunday 2pm – 5pm except during the Dr Who exhibition. Please see website for additional information and entry process.